Alzheimer’s Tn Walk Team

Hi!! My names Chloe Edgin. Im 14 years old and I’ve been walking the Alzheimer’s Walk for 9 years with my stepmother who works for East Tennessee Personal Care Service, and they have been a great support. But this year I would like to start my own team with a couple of friends so I can support my Grandfather Ewell Cline and also my Uncle Tony Cline. I am really excited about walking this year. Alzheimer’s has always been a disease that I have truly given all my heart to along with God. Starting my own team this year would make me really greatful. If you are interested in joining Chloe’s Team on Sat, April 9th, please feel free to contact us at 865-692-2200. REGISTER TODAY! Sign up to WALK, volunteer or donate University of Tennessee Gardens, 2518 Jacob Drive (off Neyland Drive) 9 am Registration opens – Plus team photos, music, food, kids & pet fun begin! 10 am Opening Ceremonies with door prizes & pre-WALK contests 11 am WALK Ribbon Cutting & Start PURPOSE:TO SUPPORT THOSE LIVING WITH ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE There’s only one Knoxville Alzheimer’s WALK from which 100% of the donations benefit Tennesseans. Alzheimer’s Tennessee is an independent, 501c3 not-for-profit organization that has been in the community for more than 30 years serving those facing Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias, promoting brain health through education, and championing global prevention and treatment efforts. THE WALK:The event itself is a Saturday morning filled with celebration! Participants find LIVE musical entertainment, FREE food, door prizes, and fun for all ages. Even pets are included! The WALK is optional, and...
Knoxville Snowflake Ball King & Queen

Knoxville Snowflake Ball King & Queen

2016 SNOWFLAKE BALL from KimO on Vimeo. 2016 Knoxville Snowflake Ball King & Queen Congratulations to our Snowflake Ball King, Dylan Adams and our Snowflake Ball Queen, Penny Bandy for raising both money and awareness for the Senior Companion Program. Senior Corps is part of the Corporation for National and Community Service, and locally administered by the CAC Office on Aging. Senior Companions are low-income volunteers age 55 and over who make a difference by providing assistance and friendship to adults who have difficulty with daily living tasks, such as light housekeeping to maintain a safe environment, light meal preparation, shopping assistance, and companionship. We help these adults remain independent in their homes free of charge, instead of having to move to more costly institutional care. Senior Companions give families and caregivers a much needed time off from their duties, to run errands, rest, and attend to their own health. Senior Companions serve 15 to 40 hours per week helping an average of two to four adult clients live independently in their own homes. Senior Companions receive a small stipend to ensure that there is no cost to them as they assist others in the community. Last year Senior Companions provided 71,471 hours of in-home support to 347 frail seniors. Senior Companion’s Duties Personal care Assistance with meal preparation Social interaction Light Housekeeping Recreational activities Respite for caregivers How can you help? – Come provide educational training to senior companion volunteers – Help us recruit volunteers, by sharing information about the program with others in the community – Consider making a donation Provide in-home support for one senior for...
2016 Knox Community Law School – Know your rights for FREE!

2016 Knox Community Law School – Know your rights for FREE!

Questions about the law? We’ve got answers! Attend these FREE seminars to make sure you have the information you need to protect yourself and your family. Register for the Knox Community Law School by calling the Knoxville Bar Association at (865) 522-6522 or register online at www.knoxbar.org. For most people, today’s law is a jumble of legal statutes and court rulings, and can lead to much frustration and many
questions for anyone trying to understand it. The Knoxville Bar Association is offering a series of FREE seminars on today’s most important legal topics, presented in plain language by top legal experts. Friday, April 1, 2016 O’Connor Senior Center 611 Winona Street Saturday, April 2, 2016 Fellowship Church 8000 Middlebrook Pike Choose to attend one or both courses!   Wills & Estate Planning for Everyone -9:00 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. Where there’s a will – there’s a family provided for by a thoughtful loved one. Learn about changes in the law that have had an impact on estate planning, including changes to conservatorship laws. Topics of discussion include wills and trusts, gift and tax planning, probate options in Tennessee and the importance of living wills and powers of attorney . This session will also address the planning necessary to assure that in case of legal incapacity, your wishes regarding financial and health care decisions will be followed.   Consumer Rights & Responsibilities: Protect Yourself and Your Assets – 11:00 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. We’ll discuss the following topics: What should you do to protect your family and try and prevent foreclosure or bankruptcy? Understand your rights if you are trying to pay...

Veteran Services Information Meeting

2016 Knox County Veteran Services Information Meeting for Healthcare Professionals Date: March 30th, 2016 Location: Karns Senior Center Time: 2:30-3:30 Please join ETPCS & Tom Humphries from the Knox County Veterans Services Office will give a presentation on VA benefits for Veterans and surviving spouses. He will talk about the following VA benefits: Improved Pension benefit with Housebound\Aid and Attendance, Service Connected disability benefits and Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) benefits. Please RSVP by March 20th to East Tn Personal Care Service at 865-692-2200 or by email at etpcs@bellsouth.net THE KNOX COUNTY VETERANS SERVICES OFFICE WILL BE AT THE SENIOR CENTERS TO PROVIDE ONE-ON-ONE ASSISTANCE TO VETERANS AND FAMILY MEMBERS. WE WILL EXPLAIN VA BENEFITS, ANSWER QUESTIONS, AND ASSIST VETERANS AND FAMILY MEMBERS WITH FILING FOR THEIR VA BENEFITS Volunteer opportunities for the 2016 Smoky Mountain Air Show O’Connor- February 8, 2016 10:00 am to 11:00 am Larry Cox- February 8, 2016 11:30 am to 12:30 pm Corryton- February 9, 2016 10:00 am to 11:00 am Strang- February 11, 2016 11:00 am to 12:00 pm Halls- February 17, 2016 9:00 am to 10:00 am South Knox- February 18, 2016 9:00 am to 10:00 am South Knoxville Community Center- February 18, 2016 10:15 to 11:15 Karns- February 19, 2016 9:00 am to 10:00 am VA Outpatient Clinic- February 23, 2016 8:30 to 9:30 Carter- February 24, 2016 11:30 am to 12:30 pm...

From the Eye of an Intern – Adult Day Care

From the Eye of an Intern – Adult Day Care By Haley Vandermeersh /Marketing @ The University of Tennessee The first-day of my internship was a very exciting experience, and I quickly realized that this internship was not going to be like most.  However, nobody really tells you what to expect or what you will experience during your internship. The start of my first day consisted of going to the Daily Living Center in North Ridge Crossing.  I arrived with the little knowledge that I would be helping seniors with a painting activity.  As I walked through the door I was greeted by Wendy Nelmons, the Daily Living Coordinator, and Rachel who welcomed me and made me feel at home. I was immediately introduced to all 15 of the seniors taking part in the program.  I was asked to sit down and help an elderly man paint on canvas.  East Tn Personal Care and  Senior Financial Group sponsored this event.  After the painting activity was finished I asked a lot of questions to gain more insight on The Daily Living Center in Knoxville. I learned that the Daily Living Center is a place that provides seniors with a safe place to stay while their caregivers are at work. This program is a Non Profit Organization that is grant funded by KCDC- Knoxville Department Community Development Corporation.  The program provides social- interaction and much needed physical and mental stimulation the seniors would not receive otherwise. After hearing what the center was all about it was very intriguing to sit down and speak with some of the seniors on how the Daily Living Center has...